Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Christmas Wishes by Jules Bennett

from the December 26, 2016 issue

Tagline: She's about to erase the professional line he vowed never to cross...

Woman's World Tropes: Widower

Observations: All righty! Another Harlequin story. I was all prepared to be underwhelmed again, but this one was much more on target. It wasn't dripping with conflict or drama, just a little internal angst that was pleasantly not over the top.

It was all from Jack's point of view and I found myself wanting to read more and find out if Vivianna was aware of her boss's budding feelings for her. I'm thinking she must. Why else invite him inside after the party?

Thumbs up for this one. At the end, I felt hopeful that things would work out for them.

Photo credit: Shimelle Laine via Flickr Creative Commons License

7 comments:

Oriole Adams said...

Question - what do you mean when you say a "Harlequin" story? Is it because the story is in the style of a Harlequin romance, or is it because it is actually taken from an existing Harlequin book?

Bettye Griffin said...

I happened to be visiting the blog and saw this question. A "Harlequin story" is a story written by a Harlequin author specifically for WW in an arrangement between the publishers.

Mary Jo said...

The Romance story by a Harlequin writer appears in WW once a month. They are usually quite different than the familiar voice here. As a marketing tool for the Harlequin brand, I wonder if it is serving its purpose.

Pat said...

Kate, my first thought when I read this story was, "Finally, a Harlequin author gets it." This story read more like a WW romance to me. I found it enjoyable.

Oriole Adams said...

Thanks very much for your responses!

Mary Jo said...

I had not read this story until another WW writer was kind enough to send me a scan. Jules Bennett is obviously a premier Harlequin writer and should have a promising career as a novelist for that brand. I have to wonder, though, how acceptable stories submitted under the WW banner would be if they were to adopt the degree of sensuality seen in this Harlequin romance. It will be interesting to hear if the WW readership actually prefer this level of romance. I have to say, I liked the story and its nice little sizzle.

Shyra said...

Ugh! That was my first response when I saw this issue had another Harlequin story, but I have to say - this one wasn't horrible. It wasn't fun either and I didn't really care much about either character when I finished reading it. Don't get me wrong, I love Harlequin books (especially the Love Inspired series) but I'm having trouble falling in love with these short stories.