Friday, March 3, 2017

Old Friend, New Love by Jamie Pope

from the February 20, 2017 issue

Tagline: Could a childhood friendship blossom into something so much more?

Observations: This is the latest Harlequin Mini-Romance and I enjoyed it. It was very narrative-heavy, but that didn't bother me. It was also much more emotional than the normal Woman's World story. I wouldn't necessarily recommend leaning that way because I feel these stories from Harlequin authors are sort of a subset unto themselves.

The only thing that kind of bugged me was when he prompted her to "say something." And she said, ""Where's the waitress? I'm hungry." I often use humor to lighten up a heavy moment, but this felt weird to me. The guy had just laid his heart bare and she notices how nervous he is. So what does she do? She makes a joke. (Her matching declaration of love comes after the joke.) I felt bad for James and felt she was a tiny bit insensitive.

Other than that, though, I thought it was well done.

Photo credit: Hsiang Hsun (Sonic) Wu via Flickr Creative Commons License 

3 comments:

Tamara said...

The Harlequin story was okay, but are we regular WW hopefuls held to the same standards? It would never occur to me to make the protagonist a cancer patient.

Chris said...

It was always my understanding that serious illness had to be alluded to, rather than mentioned outright. That goes for most women's magazine fiction, I think. No editor wants to upset the reader. But if WW stories are changing to reflect the sort of issues women face every day of their lives, it's surely a good thing. It's getting the balance right, I suppose - sweet one week, a little grittier the next.

Sandy Smith said...

I agree this story was much more emotional. I don't think a "regular" writer would probably get a story like this published in WW. I think the Harlequin writers get more leeway. But I did like the story. I guess the ending didn't bother me. I think she was nervous, too.