Saturday, May 15, 2010

An Unexpected Gift

by Kathy Perrin from the May 3, 2010 issue

Tagline: He had welcomed his granddaughter to the world and met a lovely woman named Joy--all in one magical day...

In A Nutshell: A widower is shopping for earrings for his daughter to celebrate the birth of his first grandchild. He hits it off with the saleswoman.

Observations: Sometimes you can build a story around a life event. I did a story once about a woman whose daughter was getting married. This one revolves around the birth of a grandchild.

There is a very subtle black moment in the story, but oddly enough, it has nothing to do with the budding romance. The hero finds out that he can't get the diamond earrings he liked, but Joy has a fantastic solution for him--to get emerald earrings instead because they're the birthstone of his new granddaughter.

The story ended with a clever reference to the jewelry theme:

"...Would you be interested in getting a bite to eat?"

"I'd love to," Joy said, her eyes sparkling like diamonds
.

Cute story.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't had the chance to read this one yet, but sounds interesting.

Hope things are going well for you Kate. Have you heard anything back from your latest submission?

Best wishes, Tressa

Kate Willoughby said...

I have not heard a word yet. I check the mailbox eagerly everyday! :) I'm now working on a confession story...my first. I'm a confession virgin. LOL

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the confession story!

I'm sure you will hear back from WW soon. Keeping fingers and toes crossed for you that when the letter arrives, it's good news!

Tressa