Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Parking Spot Bandit

by Tamara Shaffer from the November 5, 2018 issue

Tagline: After her divorce, Sherry wasn't sure she'd ever find love again...until a parking spot poacher named Phillip stole his way into her heart!

Observations: As I read this story, I was a little surprised that Woman's World approved of Sherry's tantrum. That was pretty in-your-face behavior that, as an author, I may not have risked. However, the rest of the story shows her feeling remorseful and if you think about it, that's how we all grow as people, right? We make mistakes. We do our best to make up for them. It's a good life lesson and a romance story rolled into one! :)

Something else I wanted to point out...we've all had this happen. Someone snags the parking spot we had our eye on. This is actually a great way to come up with story ideas. Just look at what happened during your day. Really! If you can find the type of occurrence that happens to everyone and build a story around it, you can be certain the story will resonate with readers on that level (including the editors). They'll read it and think, "That happens to me all the time," and just like that, they've made a personal connection with your story.

Photo credit: Nicole Danielson via Flickr CC license.

9 comments:

Tamara said...

Thanks, Kate. Heavy editing on this one, pretty much a rewrite.

Jill Weatherholt said...

There’s nothing worse than a parking space poacher. I could definitely relate Sherry’s frustration. I enjoyed your story, Tamara! Happy Thanksgiving!

Kate Willoughby said...

Tamara, it happens to the best of us. :) Just look at the nice fat check. LOL Seriously, the editors know their audience and it's just part of the business. I used to get all huffy - like the time they made the Chihuahua in my story a Yorkie - but now I just shrug.

Tamara said...

Yes, Kate. I feel that way when they make minor changes, but this was a rewrite. I believe a couple other authors have seen these extensive changes in their stories, and I think they have new editors, and I wonder if they have new ideas as well. I've been noticing a change in the tone in recent months -- more syrupy perhaps? Hard to find the right word. My track record has gotten worse, too, so I worry that my customary style will no longer fit their format. BTW, I don't drive, but I live in a congested neighborhood, and I see agony over parking and the occasional spat over a spot.

Oriole said...

I thought it was just me thinking that lately the stories lately were a shade sweeter than a Hallmark Christmas movie. I think the change came when the mag started putting a celebrity on every cover and increased the typeface size.

bettye griffin said...

Uh-oh. If they're getting sweeter, it doesn't bode well for the story I just submitted...

Anonymous said...

Wow, now the trolls have reverted to reverse-psychology-type spamming to get clicks on their websites!!

L. Martin said...


I liked Sherry's spunk and prefer a female MC with a backbone. I have to believe WW knows its audience, but I've pretty much lost interest in the fluff bits I've seen lately. Thanks Tamara!

Pat said...

Great story! I guess we've all experienced this problem. I thought it was an unusual and great way to start a romance.

As far as the sweeter stories go, I find just about the time I think sweet a spicy sentence or two pops up in a story. I really think if WW likes your story they will cut or add what they feel is needed.