Sunday, January 27, 2019

The Man with a Plan

by Kay Layton Sisk from the January 7, 2019 issue

Tagline: Tom is dying to meet his beautiful new neighbor, Jennifer, but can never find the right time...until a snowstorm gives him a chance to warm her heart.

Observations: I remember back when I was first targeting Woman's World as a publication I wanted to write for, the first story I read in their magazine had a dog in it. There came a time when people noticed that they liked dogs in their stories--so much so that they eventually put the kibosh on dogs for a little while because they were getting so many submissions with canines. LOL

This was a cute story. I liked all the action in it. There was a nice "full-circle" element--starting with the snowstorm and the good news/bad news thing and ending with the line:

"As Tom felt a radiant warmth spread in his chest, he realized the snowstorm was good news after all."

I did catch a typo. Did anyone else see it?

Photo credit: FarCryStudios via Flickr CC license

5 comments:

Tamara said...

I caught a missing word: "than." I liked the line, "I think we can glue that back together," regarding Jennifer's pride; also "If we sit here any longer, we might turn into ice sculptures." I thought the interactions between Jennifer and Tom were cute, and I loved the dog's name.

Pat said...

A college professor, a chef, a dog, and bad weather all make for a wonderful story. I enjoyed this one.

Didn't catch the typo. My bad.

Kate Willoughby said...

Yes, I liked the glue line too!

The typo I found was actually just "Jennifer." I think it was supposed to be "Jennifer said,"

Tamara said...

I sailed right over that one, Kate. The one I saw is near the end: "Just yourself this time is more [than] enough." The dog is beautiful.

Sandy Smith said...

I caught the typo that Tamara did. I had to go back and find the missing "said." This was a cute story.