Saturday, May 11, 2019

The Art of New Love

by Heather Black from the May 6, 2019 issue

Tagline: When retiree Joni Carter visits the Blue Ridge Mountain overlook, she's looking forward to a quiet spring afternoon of sketching the incredible vista. But when a charming painter named Richard comes along, Joni feels a new sense of hope blossom in her heart.

Observations: I liked this story. The surprise of the drawing at the end was unusual. I laughed at the name of the one-eared cat.

I had a few nitpicks about word choice. Of course I did. LOL

"I'm Richard," he said, a twinkle flashing in his eyes.

No need for the word flashing, IMHO. A twinkle is a twinkle. Flashing is more abrupt and slightly more intense. A twinkle is gentle and flirty.

"Something to remember me by," he said, meeting her gaze knowingly.

Why knowingly? To me, that makes it seem as if he knows she's interested in him and will follow him to D.C., which comes across as slightly condescending.

How completely he'd captured her soul in just a few strokes...

I'd have preferred personality rather than soul. 

But again, I did like this story. :)

Photo by Pat (Cletch) Williams via Flickr cc license

5 comments:

Pat said...

Cute story. I liked the theme and premise. Characters were great. I do agree with your nitpicks.

Sandy Smith said...

A nice story. It seemed a bit reminiscent of the week before in that a woman is meeting a charming stranger who is away from home. I do like that more stories are including older characters.

Shyra said...

I liked this story. Nature, art, romance. What's not to like? LOL. The one-eared cat did make me laugh. I'm with Sandy, I like seeing older characters once in a while too.

Mary Jo said...

Hey, ladies, from your mouth to Alex's ear. I recently submitted a sunset romance. Hold a good thought for me.

Kate said...

Thank you all for your comments. It's very nice to know the blog is actually read. :)