Tuesday, August 6, 2019

The Promise of New Love

by Jessica Roach Ferguson from the July 22, 2019 issue

Tagline: When a beach trip stirs memories of a past love, Katherine is certain she'll never feel it again...until someone from her past rekindles the hope in her heart.

Observations: Here's how I feel after reading this poignant but somehow uplifting story... I'm sighing with a quiet happiness. I can practically feel the chilly ocean spray on my cheeks.

This story conveyed just the right amount melancholy and longing without being maudlin. Ferguson does a beautiful job of showing the hero and heroine dancing around each other while trying to find out if the other person shared their feelings. The emotions all felt appropriate, not overblown or overwritten.

I only wish I'd known how old she/they were before the middle of the story when we find out he's forty. Otherwise, this was a fantastic story.

Photo by Alon via Flickr CC license

4 comments:

Pat said...

Great story. I loved the characters and the setting.

Sandy Smith said...

This was a nice story. I did also wonder how long it had been. When she said she was widowed I thought she might be older. I was wishing it had said in the first paragraph how long it had been.

Kate, did you miss the July 15 issue? You didn't discuss that one.

Tina Radcliffe said...

Jessy Ferguson! So proud of you. Loved this story!

você na moda said...

Thank you for this