Thursday, March 11, 2021

A Blizzard to Remember


by Marcie McEachern from the March 1, 2021 issue

Tagline: In the midst of a late-season blizzard and power outage, Anita lights a fire to share with her new neighbor, Calvin...and sparks of love begin to fly.

Observations: I thought I'd do another stream-of-consciousness post with this story. This is where I just type my thoughts as I read.

I love chili on wintery days. And corn bread too! With honey butter.  Honey butter is mandatory. I like how Anita thinks--slow cookers are fantastic for things like chili.

Oh, I might have tried to cook the cornbread in the fireplace. I toured an old cotton plantation once and learned that you can bake stuff like cookies and cake in Dutch ovens in a fireplace.

Calvin was obviously no Boy Scout, seeing as how he was completely unprepared for a power outage. LOL

Hmm, I'm going to assume Anita didn't have Calvin's phone number. 

I love Scrabble!

Oh, he spells D-A-T-E. Very clever!

Great story.

Photo by Nathan Borror via Flickr Creative Commons License


6 comments:

Pat said...

I loved this story, Kate. I loved that she knows who to survive in a power outage and he as a southern does not.

Being a former Girl Scout and Girl Scout Leader, I to would have baked the corn bread in the fire place though I'm not a chili fan. I'd have gone with chicken stew with dumpling and cooked the whole thing in the fire place.

Kate said...

I would have liked being a Girl Scout leader, but I had boys. LOL

Pat said...

I had two boys and one girl. My boys got to go to Girl Scout Day Camp for six years because I was the director. They loved it, even said it was better than Boy Scouts because they got to do the cookouts instead of watching the fathers do it. LOL

Sandy Smith said...

This was a cute story.

Kate Willoughby said...

LOL, Pat!

Marcie McEachern said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed my story! I was no Girl Scout, but I definitely know my way around a slow cooker! :)