Saturday, September 25, 2021

Love on Labor Day

by Mishael Austin Witty from the September 6, 2021 issue



Tagline: When a dashing captain saves the day at her company's holiday boat party, Becca finds that a new chance at love is on the horizon.

Observations: This was a classic misunderstanding story--Becca meets the captain of the boat and has no idea he's actually the owner of the company she works for. 

Notice how Jack intervened when Becca's little boy was getting out of hand. It's critical to show the hero and heroine connecting somehow, and if the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, then the way to a woman's heart just might be through her child. LOL 

Overall, cute story, but here comes a purely personal opinion that you are more than welcome to disagree with. In the past few years, sexual harassment has been prevalent in the news, so I might refrain from a boss/employee story just because of that. No doubt, real life boss and employee relationships can turn out to be happily-ever-after ones, and no doubt Woman's World readers (and the editors, for that matter) are well aware that dating your boss might not be the wisest idea. But even so, I would steer clear of this kind of story, especially if you're a new writer who hasn't sold to them yet. You might have better odds choosing a plot that isn't (potentially) controversial. :)

Photo by BluEyedA73 via Flickr Creative Commons License

2 comments:

Pat said...

I thought this was a great story, Kate, when I first read it. I loved how the Captain helped with the kid. I do read from a WW POV.

Your other comments never crossed my mine at the time, but with the news today I'm kind of agreeing with you. Now I am having second thoughts. Wow!

Sandy Smith said...

Kate, I think I also felt a little uncomfortable with the story. I also wasn't sure about the ages of the character. In my mind I pictured the CEO as probably a much older man that Becca, so that confused me a bit, too.