Monday, October 11, 2021

Ingredients for Love


by Lisa Weaver from the October 11, 2021 issue

Tagline: Tasked with uncovering the secret to her handsome neighbor's prize-winning chili, Emma finds herself in a steamy romance.

Stream of Consciousness Observations:

  • Aha. It's a matchmaker story. 
  • "You want me to do what?" -- Immediately, I'm curious what her grandmother asked her to do and I want to read on to find out.
  • "I'm not asking you to steal Anthony's recipe. I just need you to gather...intel." -- LMAO. Grandma is a hoot.
  • "Anthony Figoli was a hot pepper away from beating me last year at the Great Chili Cookoff." -- Again, Grandma is slaying me.
  • Who doesn't love a firefighter?
  • Oh, it's the grandpa's recipe. I sense a secondary romance in the works.
  • Ha! I was right. Grandma has a crush on the recipe owner.
  • I love being surprised and I wasn't expecting for the grandfather to be wanting Granny's chili secret. Nice!
  • "If she's as lovely as you are..." Okay, just how old is this firefighter? I don't see anyone under the age of 60 or 70 using the word lovely to describe a woman.
  • Cute ending! He tells her the secret is a pinch of sugar. I actually add pinches of sugar to a few of my recipes. :)
Photo by Jake Przesbo via Flickr Creative Commons License

7 comments:

Sandy Smith said...

This was a cute story. I liked the double relationship angle. And we actually put brown sugar in our chili.

Lisa Weaver said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the story ladies! Sugar is the secret ingredient in my own chili recipe, so I simply had to incorporate it in this story. And Kate, you are absolutely right about my use of the word 'lovely' being way off here. I'm blaming my membership in the 55+ club for my poor choice of descriptive. :)

Pat said...

Great catch on the lovely. It didn't bother me, but I use it all the time. LOL I'm old. Doubt my boys would use it either now that I think about it.

I loved everything about the story. The characters, the two romances, the intrigue, the humor.

Not being a chili cook, I was surprised that the secret ingredient was sugar. I was expecting it to be something spicy.

Just a great, well-written story.

Mary Ann Joyce said...

I loved your story Lisa! It was cute and funny and sexy. Way to go!

Lisa Weaver said...

Thanks so much Mary Ann and Pat. So pleased you enjoyed it!

Kate Willoughby said...

So many comments this week! Lisa, LOL. I've been a member of the 55+ club for a few years now, so I feel ya!

Lisa Weaver said...

I so appreciate you Kate, and the time you invest in sharing your knowledge both via your wonderful blog and through your awesome Facebook group for Woman's World authors. Thanks for all you do! p.s. You rock 55+ !