Saturday, February 11, 2023

When Love Comes Calling


by Millicent Porter Henry from the January 2, 2023 issue

Tagline: When her parents' pup goes into labor on New Year's Eve, Lindsey calls the vet for help...and a chance at a new romance knocks on her door.

Stream of Consciousness Observations: This is where I just jot down my thoughts as I read the story.

Okay, here's the setting in the form of the heroine's thoughts. Nice.

Her second graders would laugh when they learned how she spent her vacation.

Also, this is a clever way to communicate the heroine's profession.

Aww, the dog is about to give birth to puppies. How exciting! Also, I'm firmly ensconced in that house with the crackling fire. I probably wouldn't be as freaked out as Lindsey because animals routinely give birth without help, but I can understand if someone else got nervous.

Should she call? Doc was probably as old as Pops. 

This is a common "trick" authors use when executing a plot twist. When you have the character jump to a conclusion, the reader usually also jumps to the same conclusion. 

So she cooked up a storm on New Year's Eve even though she's alone. Personally, I might do the same kind of thing. I like to cook, even if it's just for me.

He's wearing aftershave? In the evening, on an emergency vet house call? LOL Lindsey, girl, he's gunning for you.

I'm really enjoying Lindsey's asides. ("What smells so good?" "You do." and Lucky dog.

Hm...strange that they don't talk through the entire meal. 

So he compliments her on her food and asks her out. This is a typical Woman's World HEA, however, I don't feel confident this match will last. I would have much preferred that they connect during dinner. They should be talking and laughing and discovering things about each other that make them both want to spend more time together. However, that said, the editors didn't mind the dinner silence, so there you go. :)

1 comment:

Pat said...

Nice, Kate.

I loved this story. Cute setting, great characters, and a premise I wish I'd thought of. Regarding the silent dinner. I just figured they were two exhausted and hungry people. LOL