Sunday, March 19, 2023

Love at First Bite


by Marcella Robinson fromt he February 20, 2023 issue

Tagline: When Sue starts a job in her hometown bakery, she never expects her old flame to be there--or to find a second chance at love.

Observations: I wonder what percentage of stories have a bakery as a setting or a baker as a main character. I'll bet it's quite a few. Still, Woman's World doesn't seem to tire of this trope. There are also a ton of old flame stories too. So don't shy away from sticking with the tried and true with your own stories.

Speaking of old flame stories, there's formula for these. If you're interested in finding out what it is, check out my Deep Dive class. The old flame story is one of eight Woman's World plot tropes that I cover in that class. Click here for more info.

I only had one quibble with this story...Sue was there to meet Bethany, her new boss, on her first day on the job but Bethany isn't there and it's never explained why. 

Photo by Phil Whitehouse via Flickr Creative Commons License

2 comments:

Pat said...

Cute story.

I wonder if the missing Bethany was lost in the edits?

Sandy Smith said...

I agree with you that it seemed strange that Bethany wasn't there, and Mike said he was working until she got back, which sounds like she was away. So why would she have set an appointment? You are correct that many stories are set in bakeries, but many are also in flower shops. When I read Flowers Bakery, I only saw the flowers part and wondered why they were baking cinnamon rolls in a flower shop! I guess I needed to read it better, but I think I would have used a different name. The only other thing that pulled me out of the story was when he spoke in a gruff voice and set her every nerve on edge. That seemed a bit harsh for the love interest. But it had a nice ending.