Saturday, June 7, 2014

How It Begins

by Tracie Rae Griffith from the  May 26, 2014 issue


Tagline: Jodi and Nick had noticed each other in their writing class, but it took a simple mix-up to get them together...

In a Nutshell: Jodi takes the wrong coat after writing class and is sitting in the cafe across the street. When the mix-up is figured out, the owner, a handsome dude, of course, brings her her coat and they have coffee.

Observations: This story resonated with me because I took an adult creative writing class way back when. Unfortunately, there were no cute guys in it and the teacher wasn't particularly good, but it was nice to read about two people who have the same dream to be published. I also love drinking double tall lattes, so Jodi and I have something else in common.

I recently was at a workshop on creating likable characters, and the presenter talked about the importance of making the heroine someone you'd want to be friends with. I think Jodi here fits that bill for me.

I haven't talked about feminine initiative in a while, so maybe this is a good time. Woman's World cherishes the traditional, but also embraces some of the more modern ideas, like women being pro-active when it comes to their love lives. Your best bet is to aim for having both.

For instance, Jodi buys him a latte, and jumps right in telling him she admires his blog. And yet, the hero, Nick, wasn't just a do-nothing bump on a log. He took the initiative at the end suggesting that they spend the next several hours together and that the night might be the beginning of something.

One other thing I wanted to point out is that both these characters have goals they're working toward. This is a quality that people admire, and so it makes them likable. I mean, haven't you ever watched a movie where none of the characters seem to be redeemable people? None of them are likable? I have, and I usually don't care for those types of movies. I don't like to spend time with mean, selfish, conniving, greedy and so on people, especially if I paid $10 to see them.

Photo credit: Broken Segue via Wikimedia Commons

15 comments:

Mary Jo said...

I liked this story. With the kind of clothes people wear now, it is not at all implausible that such a mix up could occur. How did he track her down? Now I don't remember. Hey, writers love writers. They will get along fine.

I especially liked this review, Kate. You have given us several important key points to use in writing for WW.

Pat said...

Great story, great review.

I liked this story because it was something that can really happen in life. Of course, it being about writers made it doubly nice.

I agree with Mary Jo, you pointed out many key points and made me see the story more as a writer than a reader. Tracie does seem to have the knack for writing for WW. Good going, Tracie!

Chris said...

Agree with the above - enjoyable, engaging story and a review that revealed more to me about it than I'd got at first read.

Chris said...

I hope this isn't cheeky but I've got a story on the Metro Mums website and have been asked to spread the word via F/B and so on. Since I don't do any of those social media things, if anyone on this blog feels like leaving a comment, it would be much appreciated. Honesty's fine!
http://metromoms.net/2014/06/08/enjoy-your-meal-sir-by-christine-sutton/

Betsi said...

I thought Tracie Rae did a great job with this story, and enjoyed it from beginning to end.

I actually had Johnene comment on one of my rejections that she hadn't liked one of the characters, and I think it's crucial for WW that the hero and heroine be likable.

When I read what you wrote, I immediately thought of 2 movies I've seen recently and hated for the reason you said--American Hustle and Blue Jasmine. Since they were both immensely popular, it seems that not everyone agrees with us!

Jody E. Lebel said...

This was a great story. Once I started reading, I found I was at the end quickly, which means it was engrossing for me. I particularly liked the ending. I don't care for endings where the couple get married. I like to take things slowly. It seems so much more true to life. Both characters were indeed likable. Of course we love the fact that they are in writing class.

We regard to paying $10 to watch people we don't like, try August, Osage County. Yikes.

Tamara said...

Betsi, I once got the same comment from the late Jimmy Meiss about one of my characters. She said when they publish these stories, they want men they would feel good matching with their female readers, and she didn't like my male character. I've paid special attention to that idea since.

Betsi said...

Jody, that's good to know -- even if I only pay $5 for an on demand movie, I'd rather not waste my time and money!

Kate Willoughby said...

Oh, I watched, or tried to watch August, Osage County. What a horrid movie. I didn't get past the first half hour.

Kate Willoughby said...

Oh, I watched, or tried to watch August, Osage County. What a horrid movie. I didn't get past the first half hour.

Tamara said...

Just want to mention, Chris, that is a cute little story on Metro Mums.

Chris said...

Thank you, Tamara. The 'revenge' aspect meant the story didn't sit well with most women's mags so I was happy to try it there. Glad you enjoyed it.

If anyone's interested in trying a non-fiction love story, there's a comp running at the moment with Good Housekeeping, with a prize of $2,000! Details here;
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/family/blogs-books/all-about-love-writing-contest

Closing date is in September, so plenty of time to come up with something.

Betsi said...

That contest used to be for FICTION. Why do American magazines hate fiction so much now??

Tamara said...

It would be an interesting article -- why American magazines abandoned their fiction features. I can't believe no one read the stories. Essays, as well, have virtually disappeared from that landscape. Family Circle once had an essay submitted by readers on the back page; Smithsonian had one as well, and Newsweek had its "My Turn" column. And, why doesn't Oprah give women a shot at speaking their minds in her glitzy rag and maybe pay them a few hundred dollars?

Mary Jo said...

I think they claim that American women have no interest in reading short fiction. Romance novels still sell, though. My feeling is that non-fiction is probably much easier for them to edit. They can cut it to fit around the plethora of ads.

Personally, just as a reader, I long for those days when magazines published three or four pieces of beautifully illustrated fiction in every issue. I suppose many of those magazines no longer exist.