Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Midnight Caller by Shelley Cooper

from the May 15, 2017 issue

Tagline: Sophie was anxious about meeting Luke...would they connect as well in person as they had by phone?

Observations: Loved this story! I don't recall a Woman's World romance about two people meeting via  a radio show before.

My desire for plausibility was challenged a couple of times. I doubted a professional radio host would ask a caller, even if she was familiar, about her personal life. I also didn't think the station would approve of him making a date while still on the air. However, I went with it anyway. I thought, maybe this was a smaller town where things are different.

I really enjoyed how Cooper brought back the dating rules in Luke's conversation. I thought it was cute that people showed up to the cafe to see what would happen between them. This was just a fresh story, well-written. It reminded me of a mini rom-com movie that was only five minutes long. LOL

P.S. Notice how she mentions the Bluetooth kicking in. It's a good idea to not show your characters doing things that are against the law or possibly dangerous like driving and talking on the cellphone.

Photo credit: curtis.kennington via Flickr Creative Commons License.

4 comments:

Pat said...

I loved this story also, Kate. Thanks for the review.

Sandy Smith said...

I also loved this story. I had also thought that he seemed a little too personal, but maybe that's the type of radio show it was. I suppose he was so caught off guard by his mom that he went ahead and made the suggestion. I thought it was really funny that everybody showed up. Very cute story.

Shyra said...

O.M.G. I loved this story! I cracked up when his next caller was his mom. And I loved that the coffee shop was full. I would have expected it to be since all his listeners knew where they were going to meet. The bit about his mother and her bridge club being there was a funny surprise. And her sister too. Yep. Loved, loved, loved it.

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

I LOVED this one too! It was SO different than anything I've read in WW for a while.

Almost jealous LOL!