Wednesday, May 24, 2017

The Game of Love by Mary Davis

from the May 29, 2017 issue

Tagline: His eyes held hers and Kelsey's heart skipped a beat!

Observations: Alas, although hockey is my sport of choice (watching, not playing!) I did enjoy this softball story. There was some cute banter between the hero and heroine, which I think is always a good thing. First, it's banter! Who doesn't like banter? Also, it shows us the hero and heroine interacting. Readers want to believe the couple has a chance of making a go of it, and showing them on interacting on the page is usually a step in the right direction.

I also liked how both characters stepped out of their comfort zones. Steve did it when he asked her to accompany him to the party. Kelsey was brave when she admitted she had a crush on him. That last one really requires some daring, because we can all imagine the awkwardness that would follow if he didn't feel the same way about her.

Photo credit (cc): Erik Drost

5 comments:

Shyra said...

I liked this story. Favorite part - when she admitted she was nervous and blew the pitch. That her intention was to strike him out. I really didn't want to find out that she let him hit that ball. Very likeable characters.

Pat said...

I'm with Shyra here. My favorite part also. Another really cute and enjoyable read.

Sandy Smith said...

It was a very cute story. I also liked the banter at the beginning.

Kate Willoughby said...

I agree with Shyra too. :)

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

I enjoyed this story too!