Monday, May 28, 2018

The Prom Date

by Elizabeth Palmer, from the May 14, 2018 issue

Tagline: Jude regretted not going with Ryan to her high school prom. Now, 25 years later, she was given a second chance!

Observations: I enjoyed the black moment when you think all is lost...when she has to decline is invitation to coffee. We know that Ryan was shy as a teen, so we readers wonder if he's still painfully shy and not likely to work up the courage to ask her again. Including a black moment in these stories, even though they're only 800 words long, is something I recommend. It's not necessary, because I see plenty of Woman's World romances published that do not have a black moment, but I like to add them whenever I can.

What set this story apart was that secret compartment. That compartment served the story in a couple of ways I want to talk about.

First, it created a sense of mystery and made us wonder if there was one and if so, what was inside. Palmer nailed it when she made it a sentimental item and not a bunch of cash, which is kind of what I thought it might be. Woman's World loves sentimental stuff like finding a missing cameo that belongs to one's beloved late grandmother. Second, this cameo and the fact that she wore it to the prom allowed Palmer to bring the prom up into the conversation. This way the characters could clear up the misunderstanding from so many years ago and make a fresh start.

4 comments:

Pat said...

I loved this story. So spring, so romantic, such great characters. Well written.

Sandy Smith said...

I really enjoyed it, too.

Mary Ann Joyce said...

Very sweet, as usual, from Betsi! I thought it was fun and clever and well written.

Shyra said...

So cute! I loved that her mother was still trying to make this match after 25 years. And them going to another prom was perfect. Kate, thanks for the lesson on black moments.