Wednesday, June 13, 2018

The Setup

Photo credit: Josh Dionne (Flickr cc license)
by Anna Jo Christopher from the June 4, 2018 issue

Tagline: Cassie wasn't looking for love...but there was something special about Ben!

Observations: This week we had a matchmaker story about a game night. I love game nights! I recently went to visit my brother in Texas and we played games almost non-stop. But I digress.

I didn't see anything in particular I wanted to point out except for the fact that the suspenseful black moment happened in the middle of the story and not at the end. Did you notice it? It's when the mystery man is 20 minutes late. It's odd how in these short stories, you can get away with things you wouldn't normally be able to in a novella or novel.

5 comments:

Mary Jo said...

The last issue of WW I received was April 23, so I have not read the Romance stories for the past couple of months. When I called their customer service last month, I was told they stopped my subscription because the magazine was returned as "undeliverable." Keep in mind, I get every catalog and piece of junk mail known to man stuck in my mailbox, but not WW. Supposedly, my subscription was restarted, but I still received nothing. Actually, this has happened periodically over the past few years. I called WW again last week and spoke to a fellow by the name of Gene. I thought the problem was probably in Florida where the magazine is printed, but he said that it was actually with my local post office. So I will have to go down to the post office and see if they can straighten this out. Has anyone else had this kind of trouble with a WW subscription? Or am I just the lucky one?

Pat said...

Nope. I've had my subscription for over 20 years and I think I've missed about a dozen issues in all that time. I did have one recently that was damaged. I guess it got caught in the postal machine or something.
I live in New Jersey if that helps you any.

Sandy Smith said...

Mary Jo, that sounds incredibly frustrating. I recently called because I hadn't received an issue for the last 2 weeks. They did tell me that I would have to call the post office if I kept having trouble. I'm really not sure what the post office can do. They would probably just say they would deliver it if they had it. Anyway, the issue finally showed up. You will have to let us know if you get this resolved.

Sandy Smith said...

Kate, I have noticed that WW stories really like cats! I'm not much of a cat person, so these stories don't resonate with me as much. But it was cute. Of course, I knew the set-up would turn out to be the guy from the coffee shop.

Pat said...

I thought this story was adorable, but then I love cats! LOL Reminded me that I miss game night now that the kids have grown up and left home.