Tuesday, June 18, 2019

The Secret Recipe for Love

by Julie Brookman

Tagline: When Chelsea Edwards is pitted against her handsome nemesis, Joel, in the annual barbecue competition, the grill isn't the only thing heating up!

Observations: Chelsea was a sassy heroine, one I admired. She stepped up to grill by herself when her dad couldn't compete. She was able to hold her own when Joel was teasing her. She was pretty canny when she realized Joel was "trying to throw her off her game."

Usually when there are stories that revolve around cooking, I find something to gripe about. I've watched a lot of cooking shows and I am a good cook myself, but I saw nothing to ping my radar. Yay!

The bad news: I totally have a craving for ribs now.

Tropes: second chance, enemies to lovers

Photo credit: David McSpadden via Flickr CC license


3 comments:

Sandy Smith said...

Cute story. But did he really have her dad's sauce recipe, too? I wasn't sure about that.

Pat said...

Sandy, I thought he had the father's recipe also.

Loved the heroine's spunk.

Deb N said...

I liked this story. A good build-up of tension (both the competition and the growing relationship). And I agree about a craving for ribs :-) I thought the ending was cute with her figuring out how to resurrect the date on her own terms. Win-Win - pun intended.