Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Changing Her Heart

by Rosemary Hayes from the August 26, 2019 issue

Tagline: While investigating her daughter's crush at the local grocery store, Kelly Mathis encounters an old flame...and a second chance at love.

Observations: I freakin loved this story! First of all, I was surprised that the boy at the grocery store, Aaron, was the son of Kelly's girlhood crush, Tim. I'm not sure why I hadn't seen that coming, but I hadn't. Then, I was surprised again that Tim was there. No time was going to pass before we threw these two together again, Kelly wasn't going to go home and dither about contacting him herself, as she had advised her daughter to, nor was she going to just wait for Aaron to pass on the message (or not.) (All three of those options are viable for the story, by the way.)

I didn't really see a black moment, unless it was super subtle when Kelly states that he went to prom with Allison Wise. But the story was still amazing without a moment of worry.

Also Kelly had an observable character arc. She actually learned the lesson that her daughter taught her, which was to just respond to a compliment by saying thank you, instead of deflecting. (How many of us deflect compliments? I, myself, have tried to incorporate this lesson.) It's always a bonus to show your character learning something or growing as a person, and that goes for novels as well as short stories. Showing your character change over time is one of the things that makes them three-dimensional rather than flat.

Photo by Alan Light via Flickr CC license

3 comments:

Pat said...

I never received this issue so I'll hold my comments until I can get my copy sent. Sounds like a great story though.

Sandy Smith said...

I did enjoy this story. I thought it had a different premise with it almost being an unintentional matchmaking story. Kelly was going to check out her daughter's crush and realizes he is related to her old crush. It was a sweet story.

Pat said...

I finally received my issue, Sept 27th. Anyway, I loved this story. A double romance is a great premise. I've only seen this a few times in all my WW reading over the years.