Monday, October 14, 2019

Back to Love

from the September 30, 2019 issue by Krista Weidner

Tagline: When Nora arrives at her daughter's back-to-school night, the only thing on her mind is how much she misses her husband, who had passed away the year before. But when a handsome dad named Tom ends up seated at the desk next to hers, it sparks hope for a great school year...and new love.

Observations: This story grew on me. The humor really boosted what started out as a bit of a bummer story, what with her husband having passed away. When Tom arrives on the scene, it just gets better and better.

When he passes her the note, I smiled. When I read what it said, I laughed.

Closing out "act 2" of the story when Nora shares her history with Tom, there's a real heartfelt moment of connection between the two. We see that Tom's not just all fun and games. He is compassionate.

So, I truly think that if a story is compassionate or humorous, it can get published, but when you pack a story with both, like Ms. Weidner did, you've really got a winner.

Photo by Christopher Sessums via Flickr CC license


3 comments:

Pat said...

Kate, I can't thank you enough for doing this reviews. I loved this story and would have totally missed it if not for your wonderful work.

I filed the magazine away without reading it. I would have missed this cute romance and John Floyd's great mini mystery. I was amazed WW published not only a kidnapping story, but one involving a child.

I agree with your about the romance starting our as a real downer, but the rest was great. I am seeing interesting changes in the stories being chosen lately.

Again, thanks, or I'd have missed this issue.

Mary Ann Joyce said...

I really liked this story, too! It was cute and tender and really drew me in. I loved the humor. Very heartfelt story.

Pat, I agree with you about the mystery. Can't believe they published one involving a child kidnapping. I guess it did turn out well in the end, but I would have thought it was off-limits.

Pat said...

Mary Ann, I guess John is right when he said you have to try. All that can happen is the story gets rejected. WW does have all new editors all the way to the top these days.