Monday, October 21, 2019

Sweet Start

by Laura Bradford from the October 7, 2019 issue

Tagline: Emma Fisher knows her younger brother, Jakob, is too shy to approach his crush, Liddy. But during a visit to the bake shop in their Amish community, a chance meeting ignites a spark--and the hope of love requited.

Observations: This was a first for me--an Amish romance in Woman's World. While I enjoyed the different setting and culture--once I got used to "dat" for "dad" and "yah" for "yes"--I thought the plot itself was a bit generic.

But maybe that's good news. Perhaps this is another avenue to publication for us. Find an unusual setting and/or culture to turn the spotlight on, then apply a familiar plot to it. The oddity of the setting/culture might be enough to put a different enough spin on it.

Photo by Ann Barker via Flickr cc license.

3 comments:

Pat said...

This story was different for sure. I also tripped over all those Da things, etc. It was cute probably because it was so different, but it was just okay for me regarding characters and plot.

Anonymous said...

This story was okay, but I have never been a fan of the Amish style. You consider that the women generally have to live a 17th Century life which was never easy. Doesn't seem like what Woman's World would advocate for its readers.

Sandy Smith said...

I was a little surprised to see an Amish story in WW. It seemed a little coincidental to me that Liddy was there just as they were talking about her.