Wednesday, August 19, 2020

A Winning Combination

by Nell Musolf from the July27, 2020 issue

Tagline: When Linda Bennett runs into her high school crush, Owen, she's surprised by the sparks between them...and the promise of more...

Observations: I had two thoughts about this story. 

One, Musolf did "sad" right. She explained about Owen's loss with a light touch. There was a moment of feeling and of sympathy, but then they moved on. This is what Woman's World prefers. I remember when I started out writing stories for the magazine, I thought, "These stories are boring! I'm going to inject some excitement and emotion into them!" And those stories got rejected. LOL So pay attention to the amount of emotion you're adding. If you're talking about something potentially sad or upsetting--like death or divorce--do like Musolf did and use a light touch.

Two, I really liked how she took two older characters (something Woman's World readers are familiar and comfortable with) and yet added a touch of modern times into the story by having Linda be interested in vlogging. 

Photo by strandkorbtraum via Flickr CC license

2 comments:

Pat said...

I agree, Kate. Thanks for the comments.

Loved this story.

When I first started submitting, I didn't have enough emotion because I was afraid to put too much so my stories were rejected. That balance is a tough thing to write for sure.

Sandy Smith said...

I struggle with how to put emotions into the stories I write. It was a good story.