Friday, September 18, 2020

Staying Past Summer

 by Wendel Potter from the September 7, 2020 issue


Tagline
: When she moves to her aunt's hometown, Shallon Seacrest never expects to find her old friend Travis...or a chance at new love.

Observations: What stood out to me in this story was the setting. You can't get more Norman Rockwellian than Bison Falls, the town in this story. I have never lived in a place where there would be a Labor Day potluck, so for city folk like me, this kind of story has the appeal of living the small town life vicariously. When a story is set in a small town, I automatically feel like life is passing at a more leisurely pace.

Potter managed to surprise me, even though I saw this hint earlier in the story...

He regarded Shallon, his eyes flashing with recognition as a shiver ran down her spine.

I read that and wondered about the recognition and then moved on to read the rest of the story. Then at the end, I was surprised to see they had known each other as kids. I love being surprised when I read. I applaud the author for accomplishing this in such a short story. :) 

Photo by A Little Bit of Stone via Flickr CC license

4 comments:

Pat said...

I actually thought a potluck for Labor Day was a little far out when I read this story. But like you, I don't live in a small town so maybe that was my reasoning.

I did like the characters.

Wendel Potter said...

Not far out at all, Pat. I based this on the small town I grew up in. Community was extremely important to us.Events such as this generated many fond memories and serve as a basis for much of my writing. I'm glad you liked the characters. Thanks.

Wendel Potter said...

And Thank you, Kate, for your kind remarks. So glad you enjoyed the story.

Sandy Smith said...

I'm sure many small towns have holiday potlucks, so this seemed to be a charming story to me.