Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Basket of Love


by Anna Kittrell from the November 15, 2021

Tagline: A supermarket snafu leaves Tom feeling like a real turkey just before Thanksgiving...until a strike of inspiration offers him a new shot love.

Observations: I'm seeing many more "hate-to-love" stories this year than ever before. There was some real animosity in this one. These days I'm often annoyed by selfish people who think only of themselves. All you people who breeze through the door that I held open for you and don't even bother to say thank you--I'm looking at you! So I wouldn't have forgiven the guy as quickly as the heroine in the story did.

But on the other hand, nothing breaks my heart more than people who are alone during the holidays and this story plucked that particular heartstring for me. Well done, Kittrell!

Photo by evan p. cordes via Flickr Creative Commons License

5 comments:

Pat said...

Sounds like a great story, Kate. Unfortunately, I never got that issue. I have to call the subscription service, that makes two this year I didn't get.

Pat said...

I can't believe it. I got this issue yesterday in the mail.

I loved this story, Kate. So much packed in such a small word count.

I never thought of the "hate-to-love" trope before. Since I'm back to writing again, I might try to write one.

I did FlashNaNo 2021 this November and it did wonders for getting my writing rhythm back.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

Mary Ann Joyce said...

I like the hate to love stories, and have written really only one that got in the magazine. I think they are popular since they are also a big part of Hallmark movies, etc. too. I agree this one had a particularly fast turn around or turn of heart, but it was selected, so kudos to Anna!

Kate Willoughby said...

Pat, congrats on that accomplishment! I'm glad you've got your writing rhythm back.

Mary Ann, Hallmark movies appeal to a vast number of people, but alas, I'm not one of them.

Sandy Smith said...

I really was turned off by how rude Tom was to her. It took away some of the pleasure of the story for me.