Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Cinema Sweethearts


by Cathy Cormany from the October 18, 2021 issue

Tagline: When a stranger sits down alongside would-be mystery novelist Patrice, it could be the start of a love story she's always dreamed of.

Observations: Adorable story, set in one of my favorite places in the world - a coffee joint. Cormany shows the two characters connecting over a love of classic films. If you're in need of a story idea, you can do the same thing. 

Brainstorm 20 things that you like or that interest you. Here, I'll do it too.

  1. Origami
  2. Ukeleles
  3. Macarons
  4. The Great British Baking Show
  5. Succulents 
  6. Bonsai trees
  7. The Gilroy Garlic Festival
  8. Hot air balloons
  9. Humingbirds
  10. Oatmilk
  11. Homemade pasta
  12. Chihuahuas
  13. French bulldogs
  14. Hockey
  15. Calligraphy
  16. Romance novels
  17. Massage
  18. Pompeii
  19. Guys and Dolls, the musical
  20. Brazilian music
Now choose one of the items from the list. Figure out how two people interested in that thing might meet. Let's say I chose ukeleles. I happen to know that some libraries loan out ukeleles. Maybe two people meet at the library in search of a new hobby. Maybe the library holds a class once a week. One character just retired. The other is a widow or widower. 

Or maybe one of them played years ago and was curious if they "still had it." Maybe the erstwhile musician offers some tips or suggests they meet at the park to strum together. 

Maybe one of them wants to learn how to play happy birthday for a relative. 

Or maybe they want to entertain the people at his/her grandmother's nursing home. Maybe, by way of the convenient coincidence trope, the other person works at that nursing home and they decide to perform a duet of Christmas carols.

Let your mind wander. Keep brainstorming until you come upon an idea you really love. Don't settle for the first idea that comes up. Make your brain work harder. I find my brain is pretty lazy at first and you can see this in the ideas I came up with. The last idea, in my opinion, is a keeper. 

Photo by AUM OER via Flickr creative commons license

5 comments:

Beverley Baird said...

What a great idea. I'm off to do some brainstorming!

Pat said...

Loved the idea of this. Must try it.

I thought this was a cute story with interesting characters.

Deb N said...

Love your brainstorming - I do not do enough of that. When I took your classes - years ago - I did brainstorm and come up for the idea for the first story I sold to WsW in 2010. Thanks for the reminder.

Sandy Smith said...

This post will be a keeper. I have a hard time coming up with good ideas. I will try this brainstorming idea.

Kate Willoughby said...

How did your brainstorming go, Beverley, Pat? Hey, Deb! Good times. :) Sandy, I'm going to make a page on the website for posts like this.