Friday, June 24, 2022

On the Road to Forever

by Marcella Robinson from the June 13, 2022 issue


Tagline: After popping a tire on a country road in her hometown, Merrilee is sure she's out of luck...until a familiar face arrives to save the day.

Observations: This story left me feeling warm inside. Robinson set the scene of a country road on a warm summer day so well. And when she got to the hero's "grand entrance," I was a goner.

The truck door slammed, the driver coming toward her, the sun at his back, casting him in a golden glow.

I mean, come on! That's such a perfect image.

Also, there are so many warm fuzzies regarding her dad's garage and her feeling the nostalgia of returning to the place where she'd made so many happy memories with him just added to the perfection of this story. 

Then there's the ending. I'm literally getting goosebumps reading it again.

They climbed into her car, rolled down the windows and, just like old times, drove down the country road into the sunset with wind in their hair, and the promise of love in their hearts.

If you want an example of how to craft a perfect Woman's World 5-Minute romance, read this one again.

Photo by Kumweni via Flickr Creative Commons License

3 comments:

Pat said...

Hi, Kate,

I agree with everything you said here. I had all those fuzzy feelings while reading this very well written story that fits WW so well...Except for one thing.

The premise of a 'flat with no spare on a long trip home.' This was so out of character for a women who grew up with a father who worked on cars that it pulled me right out of the story. I had to take a breath and start reading it again. This is probably because I am that woman. My Dad drummed it into us to make sure our vehicles were in prefect running order not only for going on a long trip but for every-day driving. Wouldn't even consider driving to work one day with no spare tire.

Funny how something can pull you out a perfectly lovely, well-written story. Just my two cents.

Sandy Smith said...

I enjoyed the story.

Kate Willoughby said...

Pat, isn't that the truth? Just goes to show you that each reader has different life experiences that will color how they receive your story.