Wednesday, February 22, 2023

When Love Comes Calling


by Cher L. Tom from the January 23, 2023 issue

Tagline: During a chilly weekend at her cabin, Marcie Lou receives an unexpected visit from an old friend, reigniting a love she thought long extinguished.

Theme: It's never too late.

Observations: Cher L. Tom is a former editing client and I'm so proud of her track record with Woman's World. She's flying solo spectacularly! Cher, if you're reading this, tell me in the comments how many stories you've sold.

I thought she did a great job at showing Marcie's character arc. Marcie begins the story at odds with her feelings about Ben and their last interaction. At the end of the story, she has realized she does want to pursue a relationship with Ben and welcomes him back into her life.

As I mention in my class, How to Write and Sell Romance to Woman's World Magazine, sometimes black moments don't occur in the 5-minute romances, but this story had one. it's when Marcie is making that decision...

Marcie took a steadying breath. Ben Morris, back in her life. Was she ready?

Of course, she is. 

I thought the ending was perfect too...

"...I'll trade you a slice if you set up our wood-burning stove?"

Ben's radiant smile spoke volumes. "I'm your guy."

"Yes," Marcie said, leading him inside, hand in hand. "You are."

Photo by Conall via Flickr Creative Commons License

5 comments:

Sandy Smith said...

I enjoyed the story, but the names confused me. I thought it was a middle-aged daughter and elderly mother. Marcie Lou does not sound like the name of a 25-year-old, and Belle is a name for someone much older than her mother must be. But it was a well-written story.

Pat said...

Cher Tom is one of those names you see and know you will get a wonderful read.

I loved this story, thought is was well written and an enjoyable read.

Anonymous said...

I noticed that "When Love Comes Calling" was the title of the story critiqued time-before-last. Is that an error?

Anonymous said...

I realize titles are reused but not that close together. I wonder if it was overlooked, maybe two different editors.

Kate Willoughby said...

I agree, Sandy. Those names seem like they should have been switched.

Anonymous, I panicked a little because I thought I'd made a mistake, but no...the stories were both titled When Love Comes Calling. So it's on the magazine. :)