Saturday, April 1, 2023

A Wedding to Remember


by Cathy Cormany from the March 6, 2023 issue

Tagline: When her dreamy co-worker, Brent, invites her to a wedding to play the role of his girlfriend, Lindsay accepts--and has a night she'll never forget.

Observations: I can't recall ever seeing the fake relationship trope in a Woman's World story, but here it is. This is a trope that I always enjoy in novels because it's fun to see the characters struggling to keep up the facade. 

In this story, there was a tiny bit of that, but it's manufactured by Lindsay who decides it's time to take action. She tells a white lie when she says she mentioned to his mom that they had gotten to know each other in a dance class which meant they should be dancing.

There was definitely some romance going on. That scene where they move through the crowd through the French doors was reminiscent, to me, of when Maria and the captain are dancing on the terrace in the Sound of Music. It also reminded me of the moments in Regency romances when the heroine and hero kiss in the garden while the grand ball goes on inside the London mansion.  And there's nothing more romantic than the man settling his warm jacket over the woman's shoulders. 

The only niggling thing that bugged me was "his warm hand pulsing in hers." That was a strange choice of verb. 

Photo by Jonathan Day via Flickr Creative Commons License

4 comments:

Pat said...

You know, Kate, I've been reading WW almost from its inception and I don't ever remember reading a fake relationship either.

I loved this story for all the reasons you mentioned and it was just a wonderful premise with adorable characters.

Sandy Smith said...

I also have never seen the fake romance in WW. They use it a lot in Hallmark movies. I didn't realize she was telling a lie when she said she told his mother they were in a dance class. Although I did wonder how she would have been talking to his mother. It was a good story.

C Cormany said...

Thank you for the compliments ☺️
And I agree about the "hand pulsing." (Not a phrase I would've used, but gotta love the editors). 🤣

Kate Willoughby said...

C Cormany, ain't that the truth? I remember when the editors changed the dog in my story from a Chihuahua to a Yorkie. I was not a happy camper because I don't like Yorkies. LOL