Saturday, February 10, 2024

Snow Men


by P.S. Murray from the January 29, 2024 issue

Tagline: When Selina called a number on a flyer tucked under her windshield wiper, she never imagined that it would lead to a winter romance.

Observations: This story had a lot of things I like to see in a Woman's World story, but it really focused hard on the hero. During the course of the story, we see Dane and all his good qualities.

He's shown to be a good uncle, helping his nephew out with his side gig. We see him complimenting the kid. We see his playfulness and humor in the snowball fight. At last, we see his unwillingness to do a good deed when he cuts down the dangerous branch on her tree. He's also a "tall good-looking man."

All of this gives us a chance to develop a crush on him along with the heroine, Selina, because Woman's World stories --indeed all romances--focus on escapism. Readers wnat to live vicariously through the story, experiencing the giddy feeling of falling in love or, in the case of Woman's World first meet stories, finding someone who just could be The One. Never lose sight of that when you're writing.

Photo credit: Via Flickr CC License, Nomadic Lana

4 comments:

Legzo said...

Your blog has become an integral part of my daily reading routine.

Pat said...

Kate, I have to thank you. I know I'm behind on reading my WW issues and commenting here, but I have been in such a slump lately. You have just brought me out of it by your suggestions on finding topics to write about. So thank you so much

Anyway, I also love to cook and bake though at my age it is getting more difficult. I could really use and handicapped kitchen for people who need to cook and bake sitting down.

I've always wanted to try making Macarons and this story reminds me of that. I loved how the writer used all those baking terms as emotional images for feelings. Great story. Loved it.

Pat said...

Sorry, Kate. I posted the above in the wrong place. You can delete.

Pat said...

I loved this Snowman story.

It sure fits your previous suggestion to write what you know or happens around you. We have a kid who has been shoveling our snow for years now.

Anyway to comments. Yes, the writer did a wonderful job helping us fall in love with the hero which is why I loved the story. This is definitely one of the stories writers should keep on hand as a great example of a WW romance.