Saturday, March 23, 2024

Cupid Always Knows Best


by Dorothy Wills-Raftery from the February 19, 2024 issue

Tagline: When Sophie decided to spend Valentine's Day solo trying something new, she never imagined Cupid would swoop in with a shot at true love.

I'm so far behind on blogging, it's not funny. Practically a month! Shameful. Anyway, I'm here and, as I often do when I'm lagging, I will be recording my thoughts as I read the story instead of doing a deeper analysis.

Off the Cuff Observations: Here in Southern California where I live, we don't get snow, so the idea of Valentine's Day being snowy is so crazy to me!

What is a snow tube?

...her breath curling up in the cold air. -- I like that phrasing!

He smells like limes? I love limes.

The son, Jackson, is funny with his rapid-fire questions. Leave it to the kid to do what the parent is too shy to do. 

Oh, there's a conveyor belt? This is something completely foreign to me, but I'm imagining something like a ski lift, but maybe just a rope you grab onto.

I think snow tubes are like inner tubes. Okay, I just Googled snow tubes and now I really want to ride one!

"I hope I have something to do with that," Jake whispered before turning in their tubes. -- Seems odd to me that this almost complete stranger is whispering for no apparent reason except intimacy.

Love their jobs--firefighter and pet photographer.

...causing butterflies to burst in her stomach. -- I know what the author meant, but my brain went literal on this one. Maybe a different verb like careened or bat around or even the cliche flutter?

He takes her hand, too? Yeah, sometimes in Woman's World stories, I think things move too fast.

Oh, I do love the epilogue paragrah at the end though!

Photo by MIKI Yoshihito via Flickr CC license


2 comments:

Sandy Smith said...

Cute story. I live in the middle of the country where we do often have snow on Valentine's Day, but I am not familiar with snow tubes and conveyor belts. Guess we don't have those around here. We just have hills where people climb up with their sleds and then slide down.

Pat said...

Loved this story. Loved the kid who is a catalyst in getting them together.

I live in the Northeast and we have had snow on many a Valentine's Day. I knew what tubing was and we probably have conveyor belts here if they have tubing at the ski places which they probably do at the larger resorts.

Fun story with great premise, wonderful characters, and very well written.