Thursday, September 10, 2026

Love Hits Hard


by Colleen LaQuay Urbaniuk from the July 27, 2026 issue

Tagline

Rachel and Matt make an innocent bet to see who wins their charity softball game, but thanks to a romantic spark, they both end up winners.

Off the Cuff Observations

The first paragraph sounds like a tagline! Colleen could make a living writing taglines, that one is so spot on!

The banter is cute. When I played softball in school--not something I relished--I always disliked people taunting the person at bat. It seemed unsportsmanlike to me, but I have come to learn that is part of the game.

Oh, another widow. Hm. Although this is a well-written story, this is a trope that I have always had trouble with--getting together with the late spouse's friend. I believe that they have developed feelings for each other and I wish them well, but it just doesn't feel right to me. It's not the story. It's me. Best friends to lovers isn't my favorite either. It just goes to show you, you can't please everyone.

Photo by slgckgc via Flickr CC license

No comments: