by Mary Ann Joyce and Rakel Joyce from the May 6, 2013 issue
Tagline: Jenny dreamed of meeting her soul mate one day...but she doubted an online dating site would help her find him...
In a Nutshell: Jenny's friend convinces her to try an online dating site. As she's filling out her profile, her computer crashes. The tech guy comes and as her computer comes back to life, he sees the profile, in progress. After joking around a little, he asks her to dinner.
Observations: If you haven't ever checked out The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler, it's worth a look. In it, he outlines a plot structure that's as old as the Greeks and very successful. I don't think I've ever tried to apply it to a super short Woman's World story, but it (almost) worked.
1. Heroes are introduced in the ORDINARY WORLD: Jenny is talking
with her friend, Erin, about her love life.
2. They receive the CALL TO ADVENTURE: Erin urges her to join an online dating site.
3. They are RELUCTANT at first or REFUSE THE CALL: Jenny resists.
4. They are encouraged by a MENTOR: Erin bribes her with enchiladas.
5. They CROSS THE THRESHOLD and enter the special world: Jenny begins making an online profile.
6. They encounter TESTS, ALLIES, AND ENEMIES: The computer crashes. Jenny calls a tech guy.
7. They APPROACH THE INMOST CAVE and cross a second threshold: She invites the tech guy in, lingering as their hands are clasped from shaking hands.
8. They endure the ORDEAL: The computer has a virus.
9. They take possession of their REWARD: They connect over the fact that they are dog lovers.
10: They are pursued on THE ROAD BACK to the Ordinary World: There is no real pursuit in this story, but they return to the Ordinary World, but off stage, where they go out to dinner.
Here our story veers from the Writer's Journey structure. The Joyces skip step 11.
11. They cross the third threshold, experience a RESURRECTION and are transformed by the experience.
12. They RETURN WITH THE ELIXIR, a boon or treasure to benefit the ORDINARY WORLD: Jenny and Ryan, the tech guy, become a couple.
Photo by Nist6ss (cc)