Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Man's Best Friend

by Amy Michaels from the June 18, 2018 issue

Photo: Jim Leary (Flickr CC license)
Tagline: Jeff and his beagle admired their neighbor...little did they know that the feeling was mutual!

Observations: Happy Independence Day, people! I hope you enjoy your holiday.

Before I get started, I wanted to also celebrate the fact that Woman's World is using thicker paper! Finally! I think too thin paper was why some of my issues were going missing. Either the entire cover or the part with the address label was getting eaten by the postal machines. I'm excited.

This was an adorable story! I was smiling throughout as I read it. I think part of it might be because it was written in first person, from Jeff's point of view. There was so much personality in the narrative.

My favorite line was, "Seriously, Oz?" LOL

The only slightly clunky thing was that man's best friend line at the end. It didn't seem natural for him to say that, so to me, it felt like they were trying to tie in the title but not very successfully.

3 comments:

Sandy Smith said...

I think the "man's best friend" comment implies that Ozzie brought them together so he is a best friend. It was a cute story and put together two popular WW themes--dogs and gardening. The only thing I thought was odd is that Jeff didn't tell Mia he had replanted her garden before she saw it. I would expect she might notice something was different. But it was cute what gave him away.

Mary Jo said...

Woo hoo! I finally got my WW subscription going again. It started with the June 25th issue, so I have missed two whole months of the Romance stories. WW added the long hiatus onto my subscription. I hope the post office can continue to deliver the magazine to my door. Every time they stop it, claiming it is "undeliverable," WW cancels my subscription.

The better quality paper WW is using now is certainly an improvement in the durability of the magazine. Also it makes the color photography so much brighter. I know I appreciate it.

Pat said...

Cute story. I enjoyed it.