Friday, August 3, 2018

Teacher's Pet

Photo by Magic Madzik (Flickr cc license)
by Diane Crawford from the July 23, 2018 issue

Tagline: When Abby attended a former teacher's birthday party, she didn't realize it could lead to romance...

Observations: Adorable story. Also, a setting/premise I don't remember seeing before - a former teacher's birthday party. I saw the chocolate bar gift coming, but it didn't diminish the delight I felt when I saw my prediction come true.

Did you notice the story had a villain? LOL It's kind of a stretch to call Dean a villain, but in Steve's mind, Dean was definitely a minor threat to his courtship of Abby.

5 comments:

Sandy Smith said...

I agree this was a different setting for a story. I liked it. I did notice about Dean. I thought it was a black moment when Dean said, "See you later, Abby." I wasn't sure there wasn't something going on there. The chocolate bar was a nice touch.

Pat said...

I also loved this story. Great new setting/premise. Notice the villain and black moment. I agree about the chocolate, it both was nice and expected.

Diane always gives us a great read.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy your blog. I have a question, please. If I am writing a story set on a particular season or holiday, how many months in advance should I send in the manuscript?

Thanks!

Tamara said...

I'm not sure exactly what the guidelines specify, but an editor once returned my Valentine story because it was too late. She asked me to resubmit the story in July that year. I did so, and it was published. That would suggest six months.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Tamara :)