Thursday, October 11, 2018

Love During Visiting Hours

by Andrea Bolter from the October 1, 2018 issue

Harlequin Story

Tagline: Seven years after Carla and Luke parted ways, they bump into each other in the most unlikely of places...and the old flames feel a new spark!

Observations: I decided to go ahead and analyze this one, even though it's a Harlequin story. Ms. Bolder did such a great job, I couldn't tell until the end that it wasn't a freelancer's story.

All throughout reading this story, I kept thinking about that movie The Bucket List with Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson, about two old codgers who have to share a hospital room. This was a set-up I haven't seen before in years and years of looking at Woman's World stories.

Just help me out here...when they say cheese sandwich, is that a grilled cheese sandwich? Because if so, yum. If they mean a cold cheese sandwich, yuck. LOL

Photo by: Kitchen Life of a Navy Wife (Flickr creative commons license)

4 comments:

Mary Jo said...

I wondered the same thing, Kate. A cheese sandwich comes out of the refrigerator...cold bread, cold cheese, probably a little damp. We know what we mean by a grilled cheese. Buttered bread fried to a toasty brown, melty cheese, and hot.

This was the first WW Romance with a two-page spread. That alone gave it a handsome look. I thought maybe that was a Harlequin bonus, but low and behold, the next week my Romance DREAM MAN (title changed to A Dream Come True)got the same treatment. Woo hoo!!

Pat said...

LOL, Kate. I just assumed it was a grilled cheese. I mean, after all, does anyone really eat a plain cheese sandwich?

I thought this story was written well with all the similes and metaphors.

It relates well with anyone who has visited elders in the hospital. Those old guys were a hoot.

Mary Ann Joyce said...

Yes, this was definitely a cute story! I loved the humor. And I LOVE grilled cheese or any cheese...

Oriole Adams said...

A propos of nothing, I remember when I was a kid my friend's mom sometimes invited me to lunch for "toasted cheese sandwiches". I figured that was just her own phraseology of what my Mom called "grilled cheese". Unfortunately, what friend's mom served was a slice of American cheese slapped between two pieces of toast. Maybe one step above a cold cheese sandwich, but a disappointment nevertheless.

And congrats Mary Jo on both the publication and the two-page treatment!! :D