Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Suds and Sparks

by Kathy L. Matisko from the September 24, 2018 issue

Tagline: When Julie met Cole, it was awash with possibility!

Kate's completely subjective rating: 8

Observations: This story seems simple, but there's a lot of craft going on inside it. I'm going to just laundry-list (LOL at the pun) what I noticed.

The description of Cole was extremely sparse. It was just five words.

Tall. Trim. Tousled dark hair.

It wasn't even a complete sentence, which is great because these stories are so short, you have to cut wherever you can.

You have a meet-cute, in which he saves her from a grocery cart collision.

Matisko revealed the characters' single status in a clever way with that quilt and the convo.

The ending referred back to Julie's romance-reading grandmother, which was a detail that makes the story nice and tight.

Photo credit: liz west via Flickr creative commons license.

6 comments:

Pat said...

I loved this story. So much in such a small word count.

Kate Willoughby said...

Pat, thank you for commenting every week. It really helps motivate me to keep going with this weekly analysis.

Mary Jo said...

Kate, you have been so faithful about writing this blog through the years, I am sure you have opened the door to WW publishing for many of your reader/writers. I seldom comment on the stories here because by the time they make it to your blog, I have pretty much forgotten about them. I suspect that your best followers save the issues and refer back to them in the light of your comments. Pat is always one, and Sandi usually, and often Tamara.
I do read your blog even if I don't comment.

Pat said...

You are quite welcome, Kate. You supply so much information on these reviews. I appreciate all the hard work you have put in to this blog over the years.

And, yes, I do save the stories to reread with your comments. You point out things I don't see as a reader, but need as a writer. So many thanks for all your work.

Kate Willoughby said...

My heart is all warm and fuzzy now. :)

Mary Ann Joyce said...

I, too, appreciate your reviews Kate--though I don't always comment. I find your thoughts on the stories very insightful and I really love that I can look through your articles to see what's been done and is being published! Thanks, Kate!