Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Home for the Holidays


by Melinda K. Cherry from the November 28, 2022 issue

Tagline: All alone in the big city for Thanksgiving, Tess fears her day will be a lonely one...until Gordy shows up and gives her a taste of home.

Observations: I felt these two had a good chance of having a happy future with each other. She's a painter and he's an animator, so they're both in the arts. And they both like to volunteer for the community. 

I also really liked all of the backstory about Tess. Her exasperation with her grandmother felt real and made me sympathize. Lastly, I appreciated bringing the story full circle by mentioning the ring-hungry grandma again at the end.

Reality-wise, maybe it's different in other parts of the country, but it's a bit of a stretch for me to believe an out of work animator can get by on a dishwasher's pay.

Photo by Krista via Flickr Creative Commons License

5 comments:

Nanci said...

I thought the same thing about a job as a diner dishwasher not being enough to pay bills. I liked Gordy’s funny and charitable personality which matched hers, and at the end, her optimism about a future with him.

Pat said...

Just wanted to let you know I'm ignoring you, Kate. I am so far behind in reading my WW issue. Must play catchup, then I'll post.

Kate Willoughby said...

Thanks for the comment, Nanci! I appreciate it.

Pat, I would never think you were ignoring me. I'm behind on my blogging as well, so we're in the same boat.

Pat said...

Finally catching up on reading my WW magazines.

I thought this was a cute story. In my mind, I thought both of them were making some money from their art, but needed supplemental income...she as a waitress and him as a dishwasher.

I'm guessing this works in WW land. Unless the art sold for a large amount, it certainly wouldn't work in my area of the eastcoast unless they each had a couple of roommates.

I did loved that they each helped their community as volunteers. All and all a great story.

Sandy Smith said...

Pat and Kate, I am also way behind on reading my WW stories. It was a good story. I hadn't thought about how he afforded life in the city on a dishwasher salary, but I guess we can assume he had other income.