Monday, November 5, 2018

A Sweet Surprise

by Rosemary Hayes from the October 22, 2018 issue

Tagline: Haunted by a past relationship, Laura is afraid she'll never fall in love again...until Joel shows up on her doorstep Halloween night and makes a heartfelt confession.

Observations: Who can resist such a sweet story of a romance that was so long in the making? You can't help but admire the heroine for not wanting to come between her brother and his best friend. That's the type of characterization that works well in a Woman's World story. The editors like to be shown good, positive character traits. In my opinion, this is because we're not only telling romance stories, we're also showing people at their best, to counter all the negativity we see around us these days. Think of our stories as a weekly prescription of happy and keep that in mind as you're writing your own stories.

Photo credit: Scott McLeod via Flickr CC license

2 comments:

Jill Weatherholt said...

"In my opinion, this is because we're not only telling romance stories, we're also showing people at their best, to counter all the negativity we see around us these days." This is so true, Kate. Reading these stories is like a mini escape from reality. I really enjoy Rosemary's story. My mouth is watering for that candy corn!

Pat said...

Jill, you hit the nail on the head. I love these sweet romance stories that take me away from the real world for a few minutes.

When I see Rosemary's name I know I will enjoy the story.

When it comes to the mini mysteries, I know I will have a fun read with John Floyd's Chunky (updated to a grown-up Charles now) Jones and Angela Potts, even when it is a cozy murder story.