Friday, March 15, 2019

Snowflake Sweethearts

by Dana Mentink from the March 4, 2019 issue

Tagline: Tammy Brisco's move to the big city left her feeling all alone, until a handsome baker offered a sweet taste of home that warmed her heart.

Observations: I enjoyed this story. I really liked the idea of a changing window display. That's a really clever marketing idea, actually. People will get curious and will want to see what is added.

I did get tripped up here:

When she arrived home, she was greeted by a flyer announcing a social in the lobby.

I got pulled out of the story because I had stop and figure out that it must be the lobby of the building she lives in. I don't remember her mentioning living in an apartment or condominium complex, but someone correct me if I missed it.

Also--and this may just be me--it felt weird to me that she invited herself to go along sledding with him. I do like it when the women are assertive in these stories, but to me, that seemed awkwardly forward. It might have worked better if Rick had included two little cookie nieces in the display.  Then it would have made sense to me that Tammy was just responding to his hint.

Photo by switthoft via Flickr CC license

2 comments:

Pat said...

Great catch with your comments, Kate.Otherwise I would have missed them.

Cute and homey winter story. Enjoyed it.

Sandy Smith said...

Kate, I agreed that the comment about the flyer took me out of the story a moment as well. It was a cute story.