Thursday, April 22, 2021

Oh, What a Knight?


by Chris Maday Schmidt from the April 12, 2021 issue

Tagline: When her elevator gets stuck on the way to a meeting, Sutton thinks she's out of luck...until a hunky passenger steps in...

Observations: Ms. Schmidt is very good at utilizing the single-sentence for a laugh. Check this out.

I think about that morning's call with the director of my nana and pop's assisted living facility, the hefty payment due for their care. And how my immediate fiscal status hangs in limbo.

Like this elevator.

In comedy, timing is everything. And that little pause after "limbo," makes all the difference.

Here are the other two examples from her story. In this one, she uses an m-dash instead of making the punchline a separate sentence, but the effect is the same.

With the clock ticking, I hitch up my skirt a few modest inches, raise my arms to grasp the ledge, and hoist myself--one centimeter.

And the last example...

GQ clears his throat. My skin tingles with awareness. Or heat rash.

Very funny stuff. Definitely put the one-sentence punchline in your writer's toolbox.


3 comments:

Pat said...

Thanks, Kate, for pointing out the one-sentence punch.

I loved this story. It hit home because I used to be the person you talked to on the phone when the elevator stopped in my work building. I could feel this poor woman's emotions and Chris did a great job of showing that also.

Tamara Shaffer said...

I'm sorry I missed this elevator story, having had one published about an elevator romance myself a few years ago ("Dinner for Two"). If anyone can email a copy to me, I'd be most grateful. Kartweeler@aol.com. I like that line about hanging in Limbo, "Like this elevator." Very clever one-liner as a preface for the main story.

FiveSibesMom said...

Loved the comedic timing on this story! I always enjoy that in stories, but have to work on that on my own. Great review, Kate!