Tuesday, March 8, 2022

The Sweetest Setup of All


 by Shelley Cooper from the February 28, 2022 issue

Tagline: Scaring guys off is police officer Serena's unwitting specialty...until a dinner meetup with an old friend completely turns her luck around.

Observations: This reminded me of a story I wrote a few years ago about a kiss, prompted by a game of Truth or Dare but foiled by the camp counselor, back when the hero and heroine were at summer camp. Fast forward many years later, they accidentally meet and eventually share that kiss. The stories even share a little epilogue paragraph describing the kiss. Great minds think alike! LOL

Cooper's humor is the star here. Here are the lines that made me laugh.

"I'm on call." And if I got lucky, I'd be called to a crime scene any second now.

"So," Max said, breaking the silence, "act in any plays lately?"

"Are you referring to what my family calls 'The Yuck Heard 'Round the World?'" - If I had been drinking a beverage when I read this, I'd have spit on my computer.

Photo by Greg Gjerdingen via Flickr Creative Commons License

3 comments:

Sandy Smith said...

I liked the story. It was different with a female cop.

Pat said...

I've always like Shelley's stories, but this is her BEST yet.

I loved it. And, I totally agree about that 'Yuck...' line. It made my day.

Shelley Cooper said...

Thanks so much, Pat! You made my day.