Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Serving up Romance


by Christine Greifzu from the January 1, 2024 issue

Tagline: When Jessa's sister asked her to help with her catering company on New Year's Eve, she never guessed what might be in store at midnight.

Off the Cuff Observations: So we start off with a paragraph of information to ground us in the time, the date, the situation/problem. Greifzu does a good job of including some of the info in dialogue which can be difficult to make sound natural, not stilted.

Aww, her boyfriend dumped her three weeks before Christmas. Here is where we feel for the heroine and connect with her. On a side note, I hope she hadn't bought him a present!

When he got closer, she gazed into the bluest eyes she could ever recall seeing. -- It's funny...I never notice eye color. Ever. I know, I'm weird.

Cody checked in on Jessa every so often to see if she needed help. -- What a nice guy!

After their first date a few days later, Jessa knew it had been worth the wait. She and Cody had incredible chemistry, and he turned out to be an amazing kisser. The New Year was going to be magnifique. -- I like this epilogue-ish type ending. I liked the call back to the kiss that never happened and the reference to her being a French teacher. It's little details like this that make a story nice and tight and connected.


3 comments:

Sandy Smith said...

Kate, I agree with you that I never notice eye color. I always laugh when I read about people noticing that. But it seems to be important in romances. I really liked the story. I wondered what was going to happen at midnight. It seemed like it would be awkward if they thought they had to kiss. It worked well for him to say they couldn't since they were on duty. The end with the date a few days later worked really well.

Kate Willoughby said...

It does seem to be important in romances. Why? I'll never understand. LOL

Pat said...

Funny, I always notice eye color, if mentioned, when I read these stories.

I especially loved the characters in this story. They are considerate, have principles, are hardworking, and know how to have fun. Real-life people who jumped off the page.