Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Love Among the Pages


by Donna J. Collin from the September 23, 2024 issue

Tagline: When Jessica offered to help her dad at his antiques store, she wasn't looking for romance--until a customer and and old book changed that.

Observations: This story is oozing the kind of nostalgia for days gone by that Woman's World seems to love. Mostly, I think this is because of the reader demographics that skew older women. This man finds a mysterious old poetry book in his grandmother's house and wants to find out more about it for insurance purposes.  It doesn't get any more sentimental than that!

I also really liked Jessica, the heroine. The heroine should be someone likeable, someone you'd like to have as a friend and I'd like to have Jessica as a friend. She helps her dad out when he needs it. She's cautious...

He seemed a decent sort. But what kind of guy, she thought as a queasy feeling took hold, tries to sell his grandmother's book of love poems?

He touches her on the arm. This is physical contact that I approve of. LOL If you're a regular reader of my blog, you know I am not a fan of premature touching which is touching someone in a way that seems to intimate, considering the amount of time they've known each other or the circumstances.

Finally, I'd like to point out the subtle black moment. Woman's World stories don't always have black moments, but this one did and I thought it was clever. He leaves her a voicemail that gets her hopes up and then it just ends. But don't worry. There was another message, one that asked her if she wanted to go to dinner with him. 

The ending was perfect. The last paragraph gives us a moment to absorb the happy news, along with Jessica, and then she takes action and the story ends on that moment of optimistic happiness that all is going to go well. Chef's kiss!

Photo by Kate Ter Haar via Flickr CC License

2 comments:

Pat said...

I loved this story for all the reasons you mention here. Great story, wonderful writer who I don't think I've seen here before.

Sandy Smith said...

It was a great story.