Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Hand-painted Romance

by Wendel Potter from the August 30, 2021 issue


Tagline
: As a recent widow, Desi finds her only solace painting pottery for her store...until handsome Sam arrives to fill her world with the color of love.

Stream of Consciousness Observations: For those of you who are new to my blog, sometimes instead of reading and then analyzing the story, I just type my reactions to the story as I read. To be honest, I often do this when I have several stories sitting in a pile and need to catch up. LOL However, never fear. I will still point out teaching moments if I find them.

  • Hmm. I'm wondering what kind of store this is.
  • Nice description of the setting.
  • Desi has a dog. A dog can be a handy secondary character the hero/heroine can talk to, instead of talking to themselves. 
  • Oh, it's a summer-only store that her late husband gifted her. That's so sweet. However, I'm assuming she threw the pots herself, as well as painted them, but it's a little unclear. 
  • So, she's painting some extremely detailed scenes on her wares. It's not the type of pottery I was imagining. Maybe she's doing porcelain type pottery not regular clay.
  • Desi is short for Desiree. That makes sense. All this time I was thinking Desi as in Desi Arnaz of I Love Lucy fame. LOL
  • Aha! A coincidence. He just happens to be an air conditioner repairman and she is having problems with her A/C. The coincidence is a time-honored device in Woman's World stories.
  • Nice...they barter the plate for the thermostat. I think bartering is something that should be brought back. It would certainly provide a little savings come tax time!

Photo by Francisco Anzola via Flickr Creative Commons License

2 comments:

Pat said...

Kate,
You brought up a lot of issues I didn't even think about when I read this story. As a reader I loved it, but as a writer, I totally understand your questions. Something writers need to think about. Thanks.

Sandy Smith said...

I enjoyed this story.