Friday, October 29, 2021

All Fired Up


by Shelley Cooper from the October 4, 2021 issue

Tagline: When Samantha meets an unwitting carjacker rustling around in her back seat at the grocery store, she never expects that, to atone for his "crime," he will make her the best meal of her life...and cook up a steamy new chance at love.

Observations: Well, I'm not sure how this issue got buried, but better late than never.

I have been the perpetrator of this particular crime! Many years ago, I had arrived at my car and was confused as to why my key wouldn't unlock it. This was way back when you actually inserted the key into the lock. LOL I realized it was not my car, just a lookalike, when I noticed someone sitting in it!! I was so embarrassed! What are the chances that two twin cars would be parked on the same residential street?

I talk all the time about showing the hero and heroine connecting. It's a critical element that you cannot skimp on in a Woman's World romance. In this story after the meet cute, Cooper shows them sharing bits of her personal lives with each other. In addition, these are humorous, self-deprecating stories, which also show the reader that these two don't take themselves too seriously. 

Photo by Bradley Gordon via Flickr Creative Commons License

4 comments:

Pat said...

Kate, this story blew me away. I would never in a million years thought to do a jack-jacking story for WW.

I loved the premise, how it was used, the characters, and the humor.

Shelley did a great job using an unusual premise. Talented writer for sure.

Sandy Smith said...

This was certainly a different premise for a WW story. It was cute.

Mary Ann Joyce said...

I thought this story was great--easy meet-cute and something that could easily happen. It could have been scary, but instead is very humorous and sweet. Shelley did a wonderful job!

Kate Willoughby said...

It's tricky but this story shows you that you can take questionable plots and turn them around so that they are Woman's World appropriate.