Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Love Under the Stars


by Marti Attoun from the September 27, 2021 issue

Tagline: On a visit to her town's drive-in theater, Connie's memories of her old love are made new again when she runs into her high school sweetheart.

Stream of Consciousness Observations

  • I love the name Junie. It reminds me of the children's book series, Junie B. Jones.
  • Ah, a drive-in theatre. We're jumping right in with a big dose of nostalgia! I remember going to the drive-in with my parents. My sister and I would wear our pajamas and always fell asleep shortly after the movie started. The jammies was a genius idea by my mom and dad, for obvious reasons.
  • Five bucks for a carload? That seems very low.
  • "Cotton-candy Connie?" HILARIOUS
  • More hilarity: "Nope. You can't fire someone when you're laughing."
  • I kind of wish I knew how old Junie was. I'm trying to figure out just how precocious she is.
  • No one sat outside their cars when I went to the drive-in. And blankets? Maybe drive-ins in other parts of the country are on grass fields. The ones I went to in Los Angeles were all asphalt. This doesn't surprise me; the LA River is all concrete.
  • 50-cent burgers... Again, are the brothers Greenwood trying to make a profit or is this like a town-building venture?
  • I do love the name of the drive-in though. The Starlight Drive-In. I can almost picture the mid-century modern sign. Edited to add - Look, I did find a photo of a mid-century modern sign of a Starlight drive-in. What are the chances???
  • Perfect ending with the perfect amount of warmth and possibility.
Photo by Patrick Feller via Flickr Creative Commons License

3 comments:

Pat said...

As a kid, I lived down the street from our local drive-in movie. We could see the screen from the front lawn, but no sound. LOL

I loved this story. I thought it was a back to the fifties night which was why the prices were so low.

Anyway, cute story.

Oh, Kate, and our movie ground was gravel. There was a play area in front the screen, but I can't remember if it was grass or not.

Sandy Smith said...

I loved the nostalgia of the drive-in theater. I have fond memories of going there as a child.Fun story.

Kate Willoughby said...

Oh yeah! I remember the play area! We never got to the movie early enough to play there and I was constantly disappointed.