Sunday, August 14, 2022

The Best Bargain Ever

by Marti Attoun from the July 18, 2022 issue


Tagline: Thrifting with her best friend, Jackie isn't looking for anything special...until she finds herself face-to-face with a fascinating find she can't resist.

Observations: I usually go straight to the byline to see who wrote the story, but this time I didn't do that. I just jumped right into the story. I really enjoyed it and wasn't surprised to see who wrote it. 

Lenora was a hilarious secondary character. I loved the humor the friends shared--it makes the characters more realistic. Anytime you have two people who have been friends for a long time, they laugh together. They probably order each other around like Lenora does with Jackie. They help each other with projects, like furnishing a new house.

I loved the misunderstanding in the story even though I saw it the moment she spotted the plant stand inside the garage.

Attoun did some great foreshadowing.

She shows you in that little mini-scene that some sellers didn't have time to price their merchandise so that it makes sense later when Jackie mistakenly assumes the owner of the plant stand was in a similar situation.

He's wearing a T-shirt from the Prairie Kitchen restaurant, one of Jackie's favorite eateries and then we find out his daughter is the owner, which gives them a talking point. 

I also loved how she didn't overdo the physical attraction, limiting it to a shiver and a fluttery feeling. To me, these understated reactions are more natural, less purple prose-y. But your mileage may vary. :)

Photo by Sandra Cohen-Rose and Colin Rose via Flickr Creative Commons License

13 comments:

Pat said...

Cute story. I loved it.

Sandy Smith said...

It was a cute story.

Nanci said...

Sweet story! Fun blog! So informative! Ok, enough exclamation points, lol. Just so happy
to have found this. And I have a question…I recently sent a mystery (first time through email)
but did not receive the auto-reply I’ve heard comes with the first email submission. Could there have been a glitch? Should I assume that my submission did land despite no reply? I have a romance nearing completion, but nervous that the same thing may happen when I send that. Any advice will
be soooo appreciated. 😀

Pat said...

Nanci, that seems to happen often on first submissions. As long as your e-mail didn't bounce back to you, you can assume WW got it. Second submission don't get a reply at all.

Welcome aboard.

Nanci said...

Thanks so much, Pat! 😀

Kate Willoughby said...

What Pat said. :)

Nanci said...

😀

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this story. I agree about using more natural, less purple-prose-y reactions. Lenora was a hoot. The writer did a wonderful job creating believable and relatable characters.

On a different note, I have a question, please. Is Patricia Gaddis still the Fiction editor? I would like to submit a story, but wasn't sure who to address my cover letter to. I saw on the FAQ page that Maggie Dillard and Alexandra Pollock read all stories first. Is Ms. Gaddis still on staff? And, is there a particular person I should put on my letter? Thank you for your help. I LOVE this blog!

Anonymous said...

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, but I have one more, please.

On the writing guidelines listed, I saw the fiction@womansworldmag address. However, I also read under "Important Notes" where it said: "Please email manuscripts to Alex Pollock" & then it gives her Bauer Media address. Which address would you recommend? I don't like the idea of getting lost in the slush pile on the generic address. However, I also don't want to annoy Miss Pollock by sending to her personal address either. Advice? Thank you for all your help!

Pat said...

This is the address fiction@womansworldmag to mail your story to. Maggie Dillard is the editor to address it to. Patricia Gaddis no long works for WW.

Anonymous said...

Pat,

Thank you so much for the information. I appreciate it. Dumb question here, but should I type: Attn: Maggie Dillard, Fiction Editor? Wasn't sure of her official title. For some reason I was thinking Miss Pollock was the editor. Do you feel it would be best to include both their names on my cover letter?

Hope this question makes sense. I haven't had much sleep in two days. Been a crazy week. Ugh.

Pat said...

You can address it to both, if you'd like. No titles are listed on the masthead of the magazine, but I think fiction editor is okay to use. Good luck with your submission.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat,

Thank you so much for your help & well wishes. I wish you good luck with your manuscripts as well. Have a happy week!