Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Halloween Serendipity


by Ann Llewellyn King from the October 23, 2023 issue

Tagline: With the help of some very unique matchmakers, Neal and Savannah stumble upon a chance for romance...and an otherworldly connection.

Observations: I really should have caught on earlier that Martha and Howard were ghosts because of the tagline, but I didn't and was just hopelessly confused as I read this. I think this just isn't my type of story. Even after reading it a second time, knowing they were ghosts, it felt disjointed. Your mileage may vary.

Photo by dutchmasterdutchie via Flickr Creative Commons License

3 comments:

Sandy Smith said...

I agree with you, Kate. This story just didn't work for me. I was so confused figuring out who these people were and why they didn't seem to see them, before I realized they were ghosts. It is a story I would not have imagined WW would buy.

Nanci said...

I liked the creative theme of it as I love all things afterlife. And not something found in WW romances as a rule, that’s for sure. So that made it interesting for me. But the delivery fell short for me because like you guys, I was confused at first. I had to read it twice.

Pat said...

I, too, did not realize until the second read that Martha and her husband were ghosts. Also because WW says right in their guidelines they don't accept paranormal.

Once I figured it out, I thought it was a cute Halloween story. Just totally surprised that it was published by WW.