Saturday, December 30, 2023

Mother Nature's Christmas Gift


by Rose Ross Zediker from the December 11, 2023 issue

Tagline: When the weather delayed Gabby's flight and made her miss a Christmas party, she soon met a handsome stranger who turned the delay into a sweet miracle.

Observations: This was a lovely story. I always worry when the story is set in an airport, because the chances the hero and heroine will live in the same city are very low.

If you're familiar at all with Woman's World romances, you will have right away recognized that the handsome stranger she meets in the airport is, in fact, the man she was being set up with. In a novel, you might not want a plot twist to be so obvious. That's why they call them twists, right? Usually the intention is that the reader is blindsided with new information that completely changes the story. And I have seen many a Woman's World story that surprised me with a plot twist I never saw coming.

However, in an 800-word matchmaker story, it's pretty near impossible for the readers not to guess who's going to fall in love. But the great thing is it doesn't matter. Yes, I knew he was The Intended One the minute he appeared, but the fun of these kinds of stories is seeing the characters themselves discover the plot twist. Tension and anticipation builds in the reader... When will they figure it out? Who will figure it out first? How? Then, when they finally see the light, the reader is delighted right along with them.

So, don't worry about your plot twists being obvious. If you can make it a true twist and surprise everyone, more power to you, but if you can't, know that in a Woman's World story, it can still work.

Photo by Syuzo Tsushima via Flickr Creative Commons License 

2 comments:

Sandy Smith said...

This was a great story. I really enjoyed it.

Pat said...

Hi, Kate:

Sorry I haven't been around. I'm playing catch-up on reading my WW magazines.

Like you I knew they were each meeting their intendeds. But I didn't care as I was waiting for them to figure it out. Loved the story.